What is it? Why is it important?
The International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO) is an independent, non-governmental international organisation.
The ISO 14155 defines ethical and scientific quality standards for the designing, conducting, recording and reporting of Medical Device (MD) studies.
General requirements include to:
- Protect the rights, safety and well-being of human study participants
- Ensure good scientific conduct and the credibility of study results (e.g. data quality)
- Define SP-INV responsibilities
ISO 14155 does not apply to In-Vitro Diagnostics (IVD). IDV studies are regulated in ISO 20916.
What do I need to do?
As a SP-INV planning a MD study, you are required to know and adhere to requirements defined in the ISO 14155:
- Obtain and file a copy of the ISO standard in the TMF/ISF of your study (e.g. access liable to costs)
- Familiarise yourself with the organization of the various chapters and sections
- Focus on the articles that are relevant to your study. Tag them in order to ensure compliance
- Based on the intervention know what risk-category applies to your study (e.g. category A with low risk and category C with high risk)
ISO standards are liable to costs; you must therefore purchase the ISO standards.
Where can I get help?
Your local CTU↧ can support you with experienced staff regarding this topic
Basel, Departement Klinische Forschung, CTU, dkf.unibas.ch
Lugano, Clinical Trials Unit, CTU-EOC, www.ctueoc.ch
Bern, Clinical Trials Unit, CTU, www.ctu.unibe.ch
Geneva, Clinical Research Center, CRC, crc.hug.ch
Lausanne, Clinical Research Center, CRC, www.chuv.ch
St. Gallen, Clinical Trials Unit, CTU, www.kssg.ch
Zürich, Clinical Trials Center, CTC, www.usz.ch
KOFAM: Coordination portal for human research – see in particular
- Online wizard for risk categorisation
ISO 14155:2020 Medical device (access liable to costs)
SNV Standards that connect the world
- Shop for the purchasing of ISO standards
MDCG – see in particular
- Main page that provides guidance and documents for EU medical device applications