What is it? Why is it important?
In order to guarantee research transparency all studies should be registered. The following registration guidelines apply.
- An international public registry, namely in:
- A primary registry recognised by the World Health Organization (WHO), or
- The registry of the U.S. National Library of Medicine - clincialtrials.gov
- A federal database, such as the SNCTP (Swiss National Clinical Trials Portal) to be found on the KOFAM website. Note: all information must be entered in a Swiss national language
The SP-INV is responsible for the accuracy and completeness of all data entered in the registry.
Registration of HRO projects is not required. Still, project registration promotes research transparency, and increases the chance for journal publication. Research projects can be registered in the “Registry of all projects in Switzerland” (RAPS) by swissethics.
What do I need to do?
As a SP-INV, familiarize yourself with how to register your study. Procedures include to:
- Register the study upon EC/RA (e.g. Swissmedic) approval but prior to study conduct. An exception are first in human studies that must be registered no later than 1 year after completion.
- Enter study information in an international public registry and transfer the allotted ID back into BASEC (swissethics submission portal). By activating the data transfer button in BASEC your study information is automatically transferred to the federal database (SNCTP)
- Enter and update study information in accordance with requirements of the registry in question, but at least once a year
In order to allow for the automatic data transfer from BASEC to SNCTP, activate in BASEC the button with the following text:
- “I agree to the automatic transfer of the relevant data into SNCTP”
Where can I get help?
Your local CTU↧ can support you with experienced staff regarding this topic
Basel, Departement Klinische Forschung, CTU, dkf.unibas.ch
Lugano, Clinical Trials Unit, CTU-EOC, www.ctueoc.ch
Bern, Clinical Trials Unit, CTU, www.ctu.unibe.ch
Geneva, Clinical Research Center, CRC, crc.hug.ch
Lausanne, Clinical Research Center, CRC, www.chuv.ch
St. Gallen, Clinical Trials Unit, CTU, www.kssg.ch
Zürich, Clinical Trials Center, CTC, www.usz.ch
Swissethics – see in particular
- BASEC: EC submission portal
For study registration access:
- KOFAM (SNCTP) - Swiss National Clinical Trials Portal
- WHO – ICTRP Registry Network
- EudraCT – Clinical Trials Database
HRA - see in particular article
- Art. 56 registration
ClinO – see in particular articles
- Art. 64-67 Registration
ClinO-MD - see in particular article
- Art. 41 Registration