What is it? Why is it important?
Biological Material (BM) is a chemical substance present or produced in a living organism.
It includes any organic matter or biologically active compound from animals, plants, or microorganism, such as:
- Body fluids: any liquid originating from living humans and animal bodies (e.g. blood, serum, urine, saliva, liquor, semen)
- Tissue: a cellular organisation intermediate between cells and a complete organ (e.g. a biopsy during surgery)
- Cellular component: material and substances making up a cell (e.g. DNA/RNA, proteins, peptides, enzymes)
- Organic matter: originating from a once-living organism (hair, nails)
- Viable material: capable of living, developing, or germinating under favourable conditions (e.g. viral vectors, bacteria, plant seeds)
What do I need to do?
Make yourself familiar with the term “Biological Materials” which also includes all of the following:
- Recombinant or synthetic DNA/RNA (plasmids, cloned materials, oligonucleotides, siRNA)
- Viral vectors (e.g., lentivirus, retrovirus, adenovirus)
- Genetically-modified organisms (animals, microorganisms, plants, insects, cells/cell lines)
- Living animals, animal carcasses, or animal products including tissues, cells, blood, or other bodily fluids
- Pathogenic microorganisms, including human, animal, or plant pathogens
- Plants, animals, insects, microorganisms, or cells that produce toxic compounds
- Toxins of biological origin (e.g. cells, DNA/RNA, proteins, enzymes, including a combinations thereof)
Where can I get help?
Your local CTU↧ can support you with experienced staff regarding this topic
Basel, Departement Klinische Forschung, CTU, dkf.unibas.ch
Lugano, Clinical Trials Unit, CTU-EOC, www.ctueoc.ch
Bern, Clinical Trials Unit, CTU, www.ctu.unibe.ch
Geneva, Clinical Research Center, CRC, crc.hug.ch
Lausanne, Clinical Research Center, CRC, www.chuv.ch
St. Gallen, Clinical Trials Unit, CTU, www.kssg.ch
Zürich, Clinical Trials Center, CTC, www.usz.ch
The Swiss Biobanking Platform (SBP) can provide you with support on this topic.
SOPs, Forms and Templates – see in particular
- Biological material management SOP
ISO 20387:2018 Biotechnology - Biobanking (access liable to cost) - General Requirements for Biobanking – see in particular section
- 3.7 Definition biological material